Staying true to the High South, chef Matthew McClure’s commitment to building strong purveyor relationships is at the heart of The Hive’s menus. He’s working closely with a number of local farmers and artisanal producers and looks forward to growing collaborations in Northwest Arkansas.
Purveyor highlights include:
- Mark and Rita Newman, of Newman Farms in Myrtle, Missouri, provide us with our pasture raised Berkshire Pork and Dorper Lamb. The Newmans work hard to ensure all of their livestock are raised humanely and with integrity to the standards of heritage purebreds by allowing the flocks to roam through their grassy pastures freely.
- Our chickens and eggs (which came first?) come from Twisted Tree Farms, a generations-old pastured poultry farm in Centerton, Arkansas currently operated by our friends Robby and Lana Shofner.
- In an effort to support as many local farms as possible, we are also getting chickens and eggs from Sarah Jane Farms. Located right here in Bentonville, Sarah Jane Farms is a new farm offering eggs laid by range free hens and beginning to provide pastured poultry.
- Many of our dry goods, including our cornmeal and grits, come from the storied War Eagle Mill in Rogers, Arkansas. War Eagle, dating back to 1832 and surviving through many owners and rebuilds, is the only working mill in Arkansas and is still powered by an eighteen-foot cypress waterwheel.
- Our neighbors down the street at The Spice & Tea Exchange provide both our kitchen and our bar with many of the unique herbs and spices you will find on your plates and in your cocktails.
- The Hive beverage program aspires to use as many local beers and spirits as possible, one of those being Diamond Bear Brewing Company from Little Rock. The family craft brewery, ran by Russ and Sue Melton, only uses two-row malted barely, hops, yeast and Arkansas water. Arkansas is the only state that has a diamond mine and during pioneer times the prevalence of bears gave Arkansas the nickname “The Bear State.” Hence the name, Diamond Bear! Other local providers include Marshall Brewing (Tulsa, Oklahoma) and Core Brewing (Springdale, Arkansas.)
- Fayetteville’s Anonymous Coffee keeps us caffeinated. While Mountain Bird Coffee (based in Beaver, Arkansas) provides teas.